Making the Trails by Walking (& Running) –
DCA’s New Trails Stewardship Group
Posted by Erika Bland
Calling all Trail Walkers & Runners!
STARTING THIS SPRING (which is officially here now, I know it!) we are launching a new DCA initiative:
The “Making the Trails by Walking/Running” DCA Trails Stewardship Group.
The concept is that by taking part in regular use and monitoring of the trails on DCA Lands, we will achieve at least three things:
- Routine usage of trails will mean that less dedicated maintenance work is needed(ie. through seasonal “work bees”) because trail surfaces are being worn naturally by our feet. (Note: Volunteering to clear trails is greatly appreciated, but please don’t undertake any trail clearing without first consulting with me about the trail and its specifications. DCA’s trails are on lands where conservation covenants or management plans determine specifications for trails maintenance.)
- There will be more keen eyes on the lands, resulting in larger trail maintenance needs (i.e. fallen or danger trees) being reported to the DCA Land Manager (me!) sooner and more regularly. This way, work bees, when needed, will use volunteer time more effectively.
- We will all increase our enjoyment and appreciationof the gorgeous and precious properties that DCA owns and manages (which will extend, also, to Lands owned by others like BC Parks).
If you would like to be part of this group and help keep DCA trails open and in good shape this spring/summer, please send me (Erika) an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. All you need to do to be involved is make a personal commitment to walking or running on one of DCA’s properties once each week, and then filling out this fancy TRAIL WALK/RUN LOG following each outing. (Bookmark it!)
Eventually, I’d like to develop the following as part of this group:
- An interactive map of trails that shows which ones have not yet been used that week – so we can all keep track of where the most attention has been paid, and where more is needed
- An option to upload photos from your walk/run!
- An optional contact list of group members so people can contact each other and go for walks together
- Inclusion of specific trail names on the form, in addition to property names
- Collaboration with DIRA Parks Committee to include more info for BC Parks and other island trails.
Please look for the new Joy of Walking Guide, coming soon to the Denman Medical Clinic, for great info on Denman trails including a couple of trails on DCA lands.If you’d like, you could also participate in the Shoot For The Moon challenge, and keep track of your walking/running hours. More info on that from Dr. Ron Wilson and at the above link.
And finally, if you’re interested in being on the volunteer “work-bee” list for DCA, please follow this link and take 4 minutes to fill out this DCA VOLUNTEER FORM.
Thank you for your support of DCA, and best wishes for an active and inspiring spring in nature!
Land Manager, Denman Conservancy Association